Re: Meat Industry Investment

Mar 02, 1997 12:56 PM
by ramadoss

At 08:04 AM 3/1/97 -0500, Tom wrote:
>Ann E. Bermingham wrote:
>
>>> From: M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com>
>
>>> BTW, as a rule in my consulting and tax practice I do not take on
clients >>in
>>> businesses dealing with liquor, meat industry, poulty & seafood industry,
>>> prostitution, military and law enforcement. This policy has not hurt my
>>> business.
>
>>Evidently you don't feel these people are worthy enough to receive your
>>consultation and advice.  I consider this to be a form of discrimination
>>based on your own and only your own moral code.
>
>Anyone should be free to do business with whomever they wish.  As
>happened in professional baseball, the market will naturally punish
>those who make bad business decisions because of discrimination.  If I
>have a restaurant and if I don't serve black people, I will only be
>costing myself business.  No other motivation is necessary.  Private
>businesses should be legally free to discriminate in any way they
>want.  I was neither racist nor sexist in hiring in my business, but I
>swore that the day the government came and told me I didn't have
>enough blacks, or women, or gays, or etc., working for me, I would
>immediately go out of business.  No one has the right to tell others
>with whom they must do business.

It is well known that in service business both the service provider and the
consumer has the choice of selecting with whom they want to work with. It is
rightly so since there is so much personal chemistry involved in service
businesses. Unwilling provide along with an unwilling consumer would be the
worst combination.

If it is selling a product or it is a service like restaurant business, I
see serious problems in any kind of discrimination.

MKR