Re: Pedro R.M. Oliveira

Mar 02, 1997 00:25 AM
by M K Ramadoss

At 01:06 AM 3/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>M K Ramadoss wrote:
>
>> There was a Pedro R.M. Oliveira who was the International Secretary at Adyar
>> for some time. Does anyone know which S. American country he is from? A
>> friend asked me and I trying to get the info.
>
>	Brazil.
>
>	I've met him; he is an extremely nice and highly knowledgeable person.
>Interestingly enough, from his lecture style, you would assume that he
>was a pedant, but in conversation, he is the opposite. I have been told
>that this is due to a style of lecturing popular in India, and he would
>be aghast if he thought that people took his lectures as him trying to
>preach the Law.
>
>	Apparently (from sources here and otherwise), his wife could not take
>living in Adyar, and she essentially told him, I'm going back to Brazil.
>Come or not, but if you don't come now, don't bother coming later.
>
>	Bart Lidofsky

Thanks for the feedback. I also heard very good things about him. I have not
met him. Do you have any idea how young he is?

As for his style, I do not know if it has anything to do with lecturing in
India. This reminds me of a comment that AP Sinnett had a way of presenting
which some people considered pedantic, but it was very effective on many.

A side comment on lectures. From my experience, usually one can tell when
someone is lecturing, if it is really coming from his whole being or just
coming from the head.

The latter, while nice to listen and could be very impressive to hear and
appear very learned, does not have the same impact as the former. Also many
times when you find a lecturer lecturing theosophical topics, and the
lecturer is doing it just for living, not as someone who is really committed
to Theosophy, it does not have the same impact. How could it good impact?

So much for divergence on lectures.

MKR