THEOS-L digest 932 RUKMINI

Feb 27, 1997 00:03 AM
by JOS KOETSIER

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997 Drpsionic@aol.com wrote:

> >On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, m.k. ramadoss wrote:
>  Why on earth would Rukmini call herself an arhat,if it were patently
> untrue?
> >>
> Because she was either an idiot or crazy or both.
>
> Or maybe, like her husband, a congenital liar.
>
> Chuck the Heretic

Chuck: I am being mis-quoted. That was not mine.

mkr

Bellville, 27.2.1997

I have known Srimati Rukmini Devi for many years and was associated
with her between 1975 and 1984. During that period I visited
Kalakshetra College of Fine Arts in Tiruvanmiyur near Adyar
during half a year and did educational research work. I have
appreciated her great commitment towards the cause of education in
India. As you might know she and Dr. Arundale made it possible for
Maria Montessori to introduce her system of pre-primary education to
South Asia. She also founded Kalakshetra, which was in those days one
of the most reknown institutions for the Bharatanatyan style of
dancing and did a lot in animal welfare work and travelled untill her
death round the world to promote Theosophy.
I came to know her as a down to earth person.

I know that there were controversies around her person but would
appreciate if these would be dealt with in an impartial and
historically contextualized way. Remarks like reproduced in the above
mentioned quote do not bring us anywhere.

With kind regards
Jos Koetsier
Member of the TS in Cape Town South Africa