Re: To exist or not to exist?

Feb 25, 1997 09:27 PM
by Titus Roth

Jerry Hejka-Ekins <jhe@toto.csustan.edu> wrote:

> Which letters are you wary of?  Why?

I read the Mahatma Letters many times, many moons ago, when I was at UCLA and
frequented that section of the library. Since I don't own a copy now, exact
references will have to wait.

I pay as much attention to the "vibes" in writings as to their words. Many of
the later letters contained subtle but distinct tone, hard to verbalize, close
to glamor and egotism.

> I think K Paul Johnson is saying that M and KH did exist.  The question he
> raises is, who were they?

Careless wording on my part. Apologies to Paul for misrepresenting his
work. Interestingly my (Freudian?) slip of the fingers, is probably what most
of Paul's critics internally translate his thesis into, namely that he
is doing away completely with the idea of Masters. It would explain the
knee-jerk reactions of some.

Anyway, my terse parenthetical remark was meant to express only a belief (for
what it matters) that M and KH were who they said they were in some of the
letters attributed to them. Also that others, such as Alice Bailey, Gene
Cosgrove ... etc. have also met them. This, I think, is viewed as improbable
by Paul. But that's OK. I admire Paul's impartial search for truth and regard
him as much more of an inquiring theosophist than many of his critics.

And Paul wrote:

> So, Titus, I wouldn't characterize our difference of perspective as a
> difference between *whether or not* the Masters existed, but rather a
> difference between how accurate we think HPB's (et al?) portrayal of them
> was.  Perhaps that could be stated as a difference on *how much* M. and
> K.H. as portrayed by her really existed.  It's not an all or nothing choice.

I agree that there are contradictions in HPB's portrayal and that her remarks
can't always be taken literally. I also agree that one should not blindly
accept what any writer says about the Masters (e.g. Elizabeth Claire Prophet -
sheesh!)