Re: THEOS-L digest 922

Feb 23, 1997 10:02 PM
by C Kent

MKR wrote
>I agree that a lot of experimentation has to be done and will be done.
>I have been a vegetarian (lacto) all my life and eat spicy food and has
>seen no problem with protein needs. My family is also lacto vegetarian.
>Most of my neighbors think we save a lot of money by being a vegetarian.
>
>Also most of the people in India are
>vegetarians and even those who eat meat only eat may be once a week and
>some only once a month, because meat is very expensive. Also on all holy
>days of Hinduism, no one eats meat.  I have known several diabetics and
>have not seen any problem with vegetarian food.

Shame on you Doss - this looks like an attempt to impose your view on we
meat eaters.  Can you not accept that different matabolisms (perhaps
racially determined), different climates and different lifestyles impose
different dietary requirements.  India may be famous for it's gurus, but
not, I think, for its great intellectual and technological genius.  Horses
for courses.  Am I smelling that old TS lack of respect for difference
emerging here on this list?

>The eating of vegetables is an abomination.

I think Chuck said it all.  Ever hear broccoli scream?

>You'll have to tell me where all the good places are.  I'm tired of
explaining to
>vegetarians that I have hypoglycemia and need to have some solid protein in my
>diet, rather than a lot of carbos.  I'm beginning to think all those years
I was so
>apologetic about it was a waste of time.  Maybe I should just wave a burger
in >their
>sanctimonious faces and say, "HELL, I JUST LOVE TO EAT MEAT! WHAT'S YOUR
PROBLEM?"

I agree that we should not be placed on the defensive, seen as spiritually
inferior or otherwised harassed into not following our inner knowing on this
issue.  The best shorthand rejoinder I have is the "What is good enough for
the Dalai Lama is good enough for me." one, but I resent having to use it.

Alan wrote
>Sometimes, Uncle Chucky, you can reach new heights of silliness!  here
>in the Old Country (as some Americans have called it) we have seen a
>very large increase of vegetarianism, mostly because people are afraid
>of being killed as a consequence of eating meat, especially beef.  <CLIP>
>Eating meat, it is clear, can seriously damage your health.  Lucky ol'
>me has avoided all this by turning veggie about seven years back.

What about chook, Uncle Dr Alan - is that classified as meat -  or lamb, or
pork, or venison, or pheasant or lobster or flake (shark to the
uninitiated).  All meats can go rancid and are questionable from a health
point of view, but so is pernicious anaemia.   Be careful of that spinach
too.  Too much can kill you, you know.

Christine