Re: THEOS-L digest 921

Feb 23, 1997 05:01 PM
by C Kent

Chuck wrote
>> > The ES don't allow no meat eatin' round here.
>> > The ES don't allow no meat eatin' round here.
>> > We don't care what the ES don't allow,
>> > We're chomp them burgers anyhow.
>> > The ES don't allow no meat eatin' round here.

Ann wrote
>>> Since I burn up food faster than most people and need
>> a certain amount of protein, that sunk any interest in ES
>> that I might have had like a bucket of concrete in Lake Michigan.

I have a similar problem in that I discovered that meat eating was directly
related to brain function.  As I live to the limit of mine in the work I do,
I could not afford the loss of concentration, mental stamina and short term
memory which I suffered when I was not eating meat.

As a natural vegetarian, and believing at the time that vegetarianism was a
superior way,  I struggled to find which food supplements would work to
replace the meat.  I experimented which just about everything until I
finally reconciled to my meat eating status when I discovered that the Dalai
Lama eats meat. ;-)  What's good enough for him is good enough for me, I
decided.  So whilst the ES was tempting in my early days, it was
inaccessible.  Now I think that this was perhaps a good thing.

MKR wrote
>   If the Real Founders were looking for people who will fit the present
>model ESer, they would not have gotten either HPB or Olcott and we would
>not have TS/T/theosophy today. And we have to understand that the
>Founders and many of the Brothers directly dealt with both of them on a
>continuing basis and not thru any intermediary. This is something many
>do not think about and use their god given common sense.

>   I will soon post a letter HSO wrote about how in 1874 he was a man of
>bars, clubs and mistresses -- a man least fit in the public opinion to
>have anything to do with any spiritual organization. I do not think many
>would have seen this msg.

I wonder whether our definition of " spirituaity" has changed over the last
century, to be now encapsulated in the New Age and the Indian Ashram  "goody
two shoes"  image.  If we look at the lives of spiritual leaders in the
past, they may have ended up paragons of virtue, but many had a lot of fun,
and often did a lot of terrible things (by our standards) on the way.

MKR wrote
>   To really appreciate vegetarian food, it should be spiced, not
>necessarily hot kind one thinks about. Have you ever tried Indian Food
>especially the ones they serve during lunch buffet? It does not take too
>long to get hooked on to it due to the mild spiced nature.

I don't think taste is the issue.  A western lifestyle in a western body is.
I could happily be a vegetarian ohmm-ing my life away on a mountaintop, but
put me in the middle of a large city doing a yuppy job in the corporate
technological world, and watch me go incompetant (and mad) without meat.

>Whoever is responsible for the semi-official "Theosophy in a New Key" in the
>April, 1996, MESSENGER, said it best:  ".
and
>The
>succeeding MESSENGER with its material on "The Three Aims," (hidden behind
>The Three Objects), our service in behalf of Them, etc. only confirmed my
>suspicion about the new direction.

Have these articles been scanned?  I have been watching all ther references
to the aims in the hope that someone would finally say what they are.   In
the interests of education of the rest of the world who do not get
MESSENGER, I wonder if these articles could be put on-line.

Richard wrote
>So, what is my next move?  Try to start my own organization called IS
>(Invisible Sun)?  Present the material in little disappearing-upon-reading,
>unpolished cyber-snippets on theos-l?

What a good idea.  We've been looking for a way to forward theosophy on the
Internet.  Maybe this is it.  But I am surprised that you did not realise
that any mention of the third object of the TS - ie the powers latent in man
- ie magic-  was going to elicit stoney hostility at best.  This attitude
has always amazed me given HPB's life, but then if the society is run by the
ES, I suppose it is reasonable for them to keep the fun for themselves (if
they actually have any significant practical occult skills at all, that is)
and keep we "untouchables" under control by keeping us all locked in our
intellectual prisons where we can't possibly do (them) any harm.

Christine