Re: TS & ES

Feb 22, 1997 09:31 AM
by M K Ramadoss

Ann E. Bermingham wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Drpsionic@aol.com
> >
> > In a message dated 97-02-21 00:08:10 EST, you write:
> >
> > The ES don't allow no meat eatin' round here.
> > The ES don't allow no meat eatin' round here.
> > We don't care what the ES don't allow,
> > We're chomp them burgers anyhow.
> > The ES don't allow no meat eatin' round here.
> >
> Several years ago a member of ES was subtly trying to
> recruit me.  I didn't know anything about it and this person's
> initial statement was that I'd have to be a vegetarian for
> at least 2 years.
>
> Since I burn up food faster than most people and need
> a certain amount of protein, that sunk any interest in ES
> that I might have had like a bucket of concrete in Lake Michigan.
>
> I'd been this route many times before, with various
> "spiritual advisors" advising me to food fast, sleep fast
> and stop eating critters.  In the end, I had to make up my
> own mind as to what was right for me, sometimes to the
> point of leaving a particular group.  The damage that might
> be done to my health was not worth the membership
> benefits.
>
> At one time New Age Journal did a survey on their readers
> eating habits.  They found that they ranged from pure vegans
> to those that felt weak if they didn't a piece of animal protein
> at least once a day. In other words, one person's diet may be
> totally inappropriate for another.  Each has to find what
> works for them.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the regulations of one's personal habits, sex
> included, is, as they sing, "nobody's business but their own!"
>
> -AEB

It is rather unusual. As far as I know, no one is supposed to covertly
or overtly try to recruit anyone -- unless things have changed in the
recent times.

You may recall that Mrs. Sinnett, I believe was given to alcohol and in
one of the MLs APS was told that sudden cut off of alcohol may kill her
and was advised gradual withdrawal.

I have known many animal rights activists who have cut off all meat, sea
food, poultry etc with no problems. Again one has first to have a
commitment and then experiment the change.

mkr