Re: THEOS-BUDS digest 209 - Bible symbolism

Feb 22, 1997 05:05 PM
by Martin Euser

> From: ejlight@earthlink.net (E. J.)
> What The Bible Actually Is:
>
> Actually, the Bible is the story of your life and my life. It is the
unfolding
> of the spiritual life of every man. As one grows in spiritual perception,
he
> grows into a deeper understanding of the Bible. Each time he reads it, it
> contains a new and richer meaning. It is as if the pages come to life.
What was
> once a gory battle becomes an allegory, giving the reader an insight into
his
> own spiritual unfoldment.

	Right on, E.J!
The symbolism of the Bible has been studied in-depth by Ralston Skinner
in his ~Source of Measures~ using Gematria. It is a very insightful book
to study (you probably have studied it).

> This is the Christ, God in us, Spirit individualized in and through man.
In the
> Old Testament, God in man is called Jehovah God; in the New Testament,
the
> Christ.

	And the Jehovah God is a "moon"-god as HPB shows us.
Christ typifies  the "sun" state of the human being - the buddhic splendour
of the fourth degree initiate.

>but, deep down underneath, there is
> more satisfying meaning, a mystical, spiritual meaning that is of great
help to
> the individual today and that is what everyone is seeking. When you
discover
> this inner meaning,

	Are there any expositions of this, besides the theosophical ones and
Skinner's
one that you know of? I'm wondering if a seeker would have trouble in
finding some
good exposition of these hidden meanings in book-form if s/he went to a
bookstore.

 the Bible is found to be, in Truth, THE WORD OF GOD, the
> Wisdom of the Infinite and this is the reason that the Bible lives on
forever.

	And, of course, for other holy scriptures which contain ditto symbolism.

> The Three Keys:
>
> 1. The hidden meaning found in proper names
> 2. The hidden meaning found in certain key words
> 3. The hidden meaning found in certain key numbers
>
> The First Key:
>
> Now, I am going to place in your hands three keys that will open doors
that have
> heretofore remained locked to you.

	 You're not the first one to mention this. Blavatsky, Skinner, Kuhn &
others
have written extensively on these things. Could you explain to me the
hidden meanings
of the twelve tribes of Israel? I think these typify the twelve signs of
the Zodiac and
may have to do with twelve fundamental vibrations-energies that make up the
human
being, but I've had little opportunity to study these extensively.

> Names Are States of Consciousness.

	What is the state of consciousness typified by the Chaldean Ur of Abram?

> One day, while looking in the index of my large reference Bible, King
James
> Version, I noticed that following each and every Hebrew name there was,
in
> parenthesis, an interpretation of that name. Each one was a state of
> consciousness or a description of an invisible quality.

	You mean that you found an interpretation pertaining to consciousness,
etc.
or did you make the interpretation yourself? I mean, if the first is the
case then
students of this reference Bible will realize fairly soon  that there's far
more
than a dead-letter interpretation of the Bible.

 With high excitement, I
> began to reread some of the familiar Bible stories. To my great interest,
> found that the battles were all between certain states of consciousness
where
> the divine faculties in man made war with the human materialistic
concepts of
> man. I read on avidly, half afraid that some of the names would spoil my
theory.
> They never did. Like the names of the places in The Pilgrims Progress,
they gave
> a greater meaning, a meaning that made more sense. Each time the story
proved
> out. No character was miscast. Each served a purpose in a story of
consciousness
> leading up to the birth of the Christ, the awareness of the Divine
Son-ship.

	Yup. BTW, what is the Pilgrims Progress? Is it the progress of the tribes
of Israel from Egypt to Israel?
Did you study Alvin Boyd Kuhn on that?

> Name Means Nature.
>
> If the Bible is complicated to us, it is because we don't know the Hebrew
> language. We just don't know what the Scriptures are sometimes talking
about.
> This is what we miss when we try to make these stories into historical
> documents. When we use the true names, signifying natures, then real
meaning is
> revealed to us. The stories are not just about ancient peoples, but
stories of
> direct meaning for each one of us.

	You should write a book about that!  In my lighter moods I'm tempted
to make up a title such as "Everything about the bible you
didn't understand, but were afraid to ask".
But seriously, I agree that there are a lot of hidden meanings to be found
in sacred scriptures.

> Take any of the Bible genealogies and trace them back, taking each name
and
> looking up its Hebrew meaning. By putting in the meaning rather than the
names,
> you will find that the genealogies are an unfoldment of ideas.

	Could you give some examples? The Dutch leader DJP Kok has
compiled a book from his lectures about the bible and a small part shows
a schematic diagram of the rounds and races as connected to these
genealogies.
HPB hints at this in Isis Unveiled.

> Each Place Is a Place in Consciousness.
>
> Egypt signifies 'bondage'; Eden, 'delight or bliss'; Bethel stands for
the
> 'house of God, consciousness of the all Good'; the tower of Babel or
Babylon, as
> you can guess, means 'confusion'. The people who dwell in these lands
represent
> the kind of consciousness from which they originate; their children are
always
> thoughts springing from the parent thought. To the Hebrew storyteller,
each
> story had a deeper meaning. Do you begin to see 'WHAT'S IN A NAME?'

	I think these places, etc. also have  a geometrical meaning.
Skinner gives some examples of this in his book.

> From: Drpsionic@aol.com
> Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Hey From: Sorcia
>
> When are people going to realize that while the Bible is a fun book (try
> reading Revelation after dropping some good acid) it has about as much
> spiritual value as the warnings on the back of a Lysol can.
>
> Besides, in case you all forgot out there, crucifiction HURTS.
>
> Chuck the Heretic

	Oh Chuckie boy, when are you going to realize that there is more
than a literal interpretation?