Access to TSA members

Feb 21, 1997 05:45 AM
by M K Ramadoss

Everyone is fully aware of the "sacred" and "secret" membership list of TSA.

Keeping the membership list out of access of members is, it appears, an old
game played not only by TSA but very many organizations around the country.

A few days ago I noticed that the Texas Non Profit Corporations act was
recently changed to specifically provide member access and copying of the
membership list by any voting members. The organization is also explicitly
required to provide copies at a reasonable copying cost to any member
requesting it. These are very explicitly spelt out with no ambiguity
whatsoever. I am sure these changes were put in as a result of one or more
organizations in Texas trying to prevent member access and copying
membership list.

It appears that we need to look forward to changes in Illinois law as well.
I will not be surprised to see such explicit requirement being made part of
non profit corporations act in all 50 states.

We are moving into next century and changes are going to take place which
will change organization.

Is there anyone out in Illinois who has access to a law library who can
check the latest in Illinois Non Profit Corporation act on this issue? Once
we see such a change, TSA will have no grounds for keeping the list as "secret".

MKR