Re: Defining Theosophy

Feb 19, 1997 07:13 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Richard,

	I agree with most of what you say, but my own experiences
in the Pasadena TS are different.  They have never limited Theosophy
to HPB, but also have been willing to include the MLs, Judge, Tingley,
G de Purucker, and Long as well.  Grace's writings will probably be
added to the list someday.  :-)
	I have to agree with J H-E that Theosophy has always had
teachings--this is exactly the problem outlined by HPB herself when
she said as soon as esoteric ideas are written down, they become
exoteric doctrines.  An organization needs to stand for something
that can be communicated in words to others.
	We have had many lively discussions here on theos-l
about the definition of Theosophy.  So far, we can't even agree on
whether it has doctrines, let alone what those may be.  I don't
have an answer to this problem.  In fact, there doesn't seem to
be any one answer that will satisfy everyone.

Jerry S.
Member, TI