Network Structure

Feb 13, 1997 06:35 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

> From: Einar Adalsteinsson & ASB <annasb@ismennt.is>
>
> There has been some discussion among members in some sections, whether there
> should be some other, more modern, or more up to date structure of government within
> the Society. The former GS of the English Section wrote an interesting article of a
> "network structure" that would have no hierarchy of power, but to be built up as groups
> of services interacting and cooperating freely out of some necessity, without any
> authority.

What you're describing is the future for all organizations because it the structure of
the Aquarian Age.  The former GS must be aware of this and has presented a
prototype for people to think about.  An idea to be planted in their consciousness, which
will surely grow.

My husband attended some seminars in which the network structure was discussed.
The leader said that what is happening in a lot of American businesses is that
management is aware of this type of structure and realizes that many employees
would like to see this as a reality at their companies.  The problem is that managment
is paying lip service to the idea, in that they are talking about the structure, but
still acting and working in the same heirarchal way.  He thought it would take a while
for everyone to finally be assimilated into this system.  I'm sure those in power
are not willing to let go of their power easily.

>He used the Internet as a model.
> Its an interesting Idea, but I'm afraid that it's still an Utopia, and will be for some
> time to come.

I believe its implementation depends on the consciousness and willingness to
change, in any organization.  There are companies, manned by younger and
more advanced people, who are already using this structure.  For those who
are used to the older model, it may take some time to change over.  It really
depends on the awareness level of those in charge.

I'm sure it does sound Utopian, but I imagine there will be a lot wrinkles to
ironed out along the way. :-)

-AEB