Re: [meanings]

Feb 09, 1997 09:57 PM
by Benjamin Mark Pybus

Tom Wrote:

>Someone responded and said that jdfhghk was the opposite of wjrkfhk, and
vice versa,and that now I could now know what jdfhghk and wjrkfhk.

To say that they are simply opposites tells you nothing about the
characteristics or defining qualities of two ideas nor does the word opposite
"mean" anything at all.The word opposite tells you nothing of their
relationship either to themselves or, potentially, to other ideas.For
example, I might say that Moon is "opposite" Venus in a horoscope but unless
I knew that I was talking in terms of degrees of a circle such a statement
wouldn't mean anything to me.
How then can you say that you could know anything about them.All,as far I
can say, is that the two ideas exist.
Could you also define "meaning". I might intuively dream about certain
ideas, and possibly relations to other ideas but that doesn't necessarily
imply that those ideas have any "meaning" - in fact many have no meaning for
me at all!!

>Masculinity and femininity can both be observed, distinctly from each
>other,and defined as the opposites of each other.

In order for them to be observed they must have some quality(s). I do not
believe that definition of these words is possible - and if one can ,then it
is almost certainly from a personal/subjective point of view. IMHO the
"boundary conditons" ,to use mathematical terminology, are not universal and
as such lead to variations in the "observations";thus we are led to a
chaotic "meaning" of the terms so expressed, and therefore have no meaning
at all.

>Many opposites cannot exist independently of each other..

"Many"? I have always been under the impression that the idea of "opposites"
by its very nature meant that two opposites cannot not be independent under
all conditions. Could you give me an example of of a pair of opposites that
exist independently?

Namaste
Ben