Imagine my surprise...

Feb 09, 1997 06:21 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

Upon opening my emailbox Sunday morning and finding Richard's
post and JRC's fellowup, both with my name on the header.
Richard created an opportunity for me to demonstrate some
intuition of lack thereof, as well as his own predictive
ability.  That is because although my copy of The Quest has
arrived, I didn't open it.  Looked at it and thought, "Oh, God,
it's February, I'm not a member any more, why are they sending
that?"  It went into some pile and will take a while to find,
but it's here somewhere.  I feel happy when A.R.E. stuff comes,
and tear it open; anything postmarked Wheaton makes me think
"Uh-oh, what new mischief is afoot?"

Don't think whatever it is will drive me crazy, as Richard
predicts.  As to making me glad to me an ex-member of the TSA,
sounds like this will be effective.  Here's the guess: almost
but not quite a page, halfway back, by John Algeo, thoroughly
endorsing Mr. Caldwell's impeccable scholarship as further
proof that the Wheaton/Adyar worthies have been right all along
in dismissing my approach to the Masters and HPB.  But I won't
go too far out on a limb with that prediction, as it may have
occurred to Caldwell and Algeo that a third voice aligned with
theirs would be more effective.

Now I'll go look and either eat crow if my prediction is
totally wrong, or crow a bit if it's right.  (It's not a
prediction since the review is already in the magazine in my
house, unopened.  More like an intuitive guess.)