War

Feb 07, 1997 05:44 PM
by Titus Roth

MKR quoted:

>> Krishnamurti:
>>
>> It is the fault of every one of us that this present horror is going on.  It
>> is the outward result of our everyday inner life of greed, ill will, and
>> lust, of competition, acquisitiveness, and specialized religion.  It is the
>> fault of everyone who, indulging in these, has created this terrible
>> calamity. because we are nationalistic, singularistic, passionate, each one
>> of us is contributing to this mass murder.

And Tom replied:

> I find it to be preposterous that those who wanted peace, but who were
> forced into a choice between war and being annihilated, were
> considered to be responsible for war.  It is a travesty of justice to
> consider those who do not start wars to be as responsible as those who
> do.  Peace will not come about by those who "love peace" not starting
> wars.  They already don't, and we still have wars.  It will come about
> by those who "love peace" deterring wars.  Pacifism encourages war.

Age old debates. Krishna and Arjuna again.

Certainly with the case of WW II, going to war seemed to be the only way to
bring about peace. I would not criticize those who fought for my freedoms. On
the contrary, I'm very grateful for them and find their contributions sadly
necessary. But I don't think I would view it as MY calling to serve the cause
of peace in combat. I might have gone onto the battlefield to serve in, say, a
medical capacity. In that way I would be taking the same risks as others and
also giving assistance in a non-violent way.

War, it seems to me, is justifiable if the archetype of a nation is at
stake. In fighting in such a war, one's inner state should be without hate.
Jeanne d'Arc, who I regard as a saint, followed the dictates of her voices to
preserve the archetype of France by means of war. She also grieved terribly
over the English soldiers that were killed and took no joy at their
losing their lives.