Compensation worldwide

Feb 03, 1997 06:52 PM
by Einar Adalsteinsson & ASB

Doss wrote:

Chuck:
I had a gut feeling about what you have stated. Even the International
President Radha Burnier has never taken any salary and worked for free
all her life.

Einar here:

I am not familiar with the salaries in the TS around the world, but I
have the feeling that it hardly exceeds the bare living necessities
and are often none at all.

In Iceland the only paid post is the editor/manager of our Magazine,
who delivers it "ready for printing" to the printing house. He gets
about three months pay for a lot of professional work (200 pages
pr. year plus accounting and distribution).

Every post in the society is voluntary work, and expenses rarely
paid unless they amount to an considerable amount.

The most generous to the society are maybe those ladies (and of
late quite a number of gents too), that bring coffee and cakes to our
"party" on Friday nights, and pay their $ 5.00 price for the coffee to
our "coffee-fund", even though they didn't have time to consume
any, busy as they are, serving others.

This has also made it possible to have no admittance fee to any of
our activities, which are extensive in deed (something every day of
the week).

It's my experience that TS workers are not at all enviable of their
Work, at least not  money-vise, and by reading the posts on this list,
their work doesn't seem much appreciated otherwise either. Of
course there are human problems inside the TS. In the management
of any society there are always traces of revelry, envy, jealousy,
etc. and it seems to be an "universal law" that those that never
won't do anything but talk, always know best how NOT to do
things!

Finally a small well-meant advise.

If you are so unhappy about your position within the theosophical
movement, as some of you seem to be, pick yourself a position or a
field of work, and make that however small field an example for
others to see. If you are really good at it, you will eventually end up
being a "lamp unto others". But don't go about it by digging shit
and throwing it on others, because then you will never get out of
the mud-pool yourself.

Think about it!

Love and light

Einar