Curved Space-Time

Feb 03, 1997 11:09 AM
by Jerry Schueler

Tom:
>That time could be anything other than linear and that space could be
>curved are ideas I do not grasp.

	The idea if linear time leads us to the doctrine of the
Big Bang, which is now seen as a faulty model.  Linear time
requires an orgin or beginning, which is always troublesome
(where did this beginning come from?).  Hawking's No-Boundary
Model is a scientific attempt to circumvent the problem, but
so far has few champions in the scientific community.
Einstein showed that if we travel in a straight line far
enough, we will arrive at the same point where we started,
thus all paths through space are curved.  Curved space
and curved time are the only things that make sense to me.

Jerry S.
Member, TI