LCC, (Co)Freemasonry & Suffrage

Feb 03, 1997 05:43 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

> From: M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com>
>
> Re: LCC and (Co)Freemasonry, it is rather odd that Co-Freemasonry was
> supported by AB and TS because the Co-Freemasonry admit women while LCC does
> not allow ordaining of Women.
>
> Couple of decades ago, I would not have been perceptive enough to look at
> this anamoly in LCC and TS while working towards the first object, support
> an organization which is discriminatory. All the spiritual explanations
> might have satisfied those who did not think.
>
> Today, to most of us who are very sensitive to discrimination in any form or
> fashion (either overly or covertly), LCC's policies are shocking.

Those policies seem out of kilter with the times we are living in, in which
the barriers for opportunity for men and women are slowly disappearing.

But remember that women were not allowed to even vote until
August 18, 1920, when the US Congress ratified Amendment XIX to the
Bill of Rights.  At that time, a church with women at the altar would have
been so shocking that it would have hampered the establishment of the
church.  It was only in the later 70's that women were allowed to become
servers and deaconesses in the LCC.  It was explained to me by a priest that that
was because they were running out of males in the minor orders to assist
the priests.  "All Chiefs, no Indians."

-AEB