Re: The Big Three

Feb 02, 1997 10:42 AM
by Drpsionic

Ann,
You have to read the old journals and then read between the lines of some of
the stories because they don't come out and say things directly.

For example, in Mary Lutyens' memoir of Krishnamurti's youth (I think it's To
Be Young), she refers to Leadbeater coming to great them in Sydney leaning on
the arm of his then favorite very young man.  Now, from what we know of
Leadbeater's behavior, it doesn't take much to infer why he was the favorite.
 In fact, from the description, it is damned obvious.

The problem with the inner circle of the TS at that time was that they were
like the three men on the desert island who got very rich by trading their
hats around.  They only talked to each other and only listened to each other
and fed off each other so that there was no force to remind them that what
they were saying was nonsense.  The airhead--er--arhat business is a prime
example.  So they had these three organizations, actually independant of each
other, but they figured out a way to sort of glue them to serve their
purposes, only they didn't consciously know that.  They actually persuaded
themselves that they had found the key to the future of humanity.   Now we,
from our perspective, can easily see that they had simply gone off the deep
end and were ripe for a padded room with a view,but no one who was around
them did until Krishnamurti came to his senses and told everyone to get a
life.

Read the transcripts of the 1925 Star Camp at Ommen, it's in the 1925 bound
volume of the Adyar Theosophist at the Olcott Library, and you'll see what I
mean.

Chuck the Heretic