Pope of the LCC

Feb 01, 1997 03:22 PM
by Ann E. Bermingham

----------
> From: M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com>

> >(Ann's head falls her desk)  I vividly remember being at a clergy meeting
> >way back around 1980-81 when J. Schwartz broke off from the church.  The
> >clergy were so upset they didn't talk about anything else for the rest of the
> >meeting.
> >
> >This is truly high soap opera in a three ring circus.
> >
> >-AEB
>
> Ann:
>
> Since I have not kept up with LCC, what was it that broke the camel's back?

It's been so long that my memory is fuzzy, but I think it had something to do
with J. Schwartz aspiring to the priesthood faster than his superior would
allow.  There was some difficulty between them and Johnny split.

Doss:
>Ann: Do you know if LCC allows women to hold the offices all the way up to
>the *Pope*?

This was covered in another post.  There is no title of Pope, but Presiding
Bishop.   No women are ordained to holy orders, but are permitted to be
servers or deaconesses at the altar.

As for the administration of the church by the vestry, the offices of the
President, Vice President and Treasurer have all been held by men and/or
clergy for as long as I have been in the church.  The post of Secretary, who
writes the minutes of the meetings, has always been held by a woman.
Regular vestry members can be either sex.

Why, Doss?  Do you want to file a discrimination suit? : -)))

Personally, I have no desire to be ordained in the LCC.
It's whole focus and service is so patriarchial that I would have nothing
to identify with.  If they ever do change their system, it would be a
massive shake-up that might tear apart the church.  As far as I'm
concerned, it's in the hands of the Bishops when they gather for a
synod.

-AEB