Re: THEOS-L digest 872

Jan 31, 1997 09:19 PM
by Lmhem111

<< You may find the idea of a home base too restricting. I'm guessing if you
do
 have one, it's Theosopy. If so does Theosophy serve well for this purpose?

Theosophy is the fountain head, so to speak, of esoteric teachings. It
supplies the basis for the subsequent exploration of the field of
metaphysics. Actually, theosophy, the Ageless Wisdom, is found in some degree
in all religious and philosophical expressions. Madame Blavatsky said that
"theosophy is the shoreless ocean of universal truth." Because of its
expanse, we can never know it completely being limited as we are in time and
space. However, I feel that an eclectic approach to theosophical study is
necessary for me in order to uncover aspects of it which were previously
hidden. Besides the study of texts supplied by the well-known proponents of
theosophy, HPB, WQJ, AB, Sinnett, CWL, Hodson, Jinarajadasa, Taimni, etc., I
found the reading of  authors outside that familiar spectrum cast new
insights on the philosophia perinnis.

There are many things, for instance, which I reject in Steiner's presentation
of the philosophy yet    I find his concept of the Luciferic and Ahrimanic
forces helpful in explaining the dynamic of energies at play in the three
lower planes of manifestation. The Luciferic forces are the restless powers
of  illusion on the spiritual plane and the Ahrimanic forces are the energies
of the heavy hand of materiality. Man stands in the center as the anthropos,
the element of balance and equilibrium. In a sense, he is really talking
about the three gunas, rajas (Lucifer), tamas (Ahriman) and sattva (man).
Here, the teachings of Vedanta throw light on Steiner. One thing leads to
another. Mouni Sadhu, whose guru was Ramana Maharshi (also Paul Brunton's),
ties it all in with his treatise on the Tarot, which he calls the
"quintessence of Hermetic Occultism." Alice Bailey emphasizes the Masters and
the psychology of the Seven Rays. Sri Aurobindo, a master of the English
language, wrote The Life Divine, which reconciles the transcendental and the
cosmic aspects of Being. Astrologers, like Alan Leo and C.E.O. Carter of the
Astrological Lodge of the TS (London), helped me understand in a new way the
influence of the Macrocosm on the Microcosm (man). To understand the
voluminous works of Swinburne Clymer one needs to study the ritual and
monographs of the Hermetic Brotherhood of Luxor (Max Theon). Yogananda's
books, particularly his autobiography, revealed to me early on that the world
is indeed magical as Jerry Schueler maintains. Sai Baba, very simply, taught
me to love. This is just a very brief and incomplete summary, by mentioning
only a few authors out of many, of how theo-sophia (Brahma Vidya) can be a
stream of consciousness, leading one on to new vistas and ever expanding
horizons.

LunarPitri