Home base

Jan 31, 1997 11:37 AM
by Titus Roth

Lmhem111@aol.com (LunarPitri) wrote:

> I belong to the TS, ULT and TS (Pasadena). I'm an associate member in a
> rosicrucian group (not AMORC), a Sai Baba devotee and have (gasp!) all the
> collected works of Alice A. Bailey in my library of some 3,500 volumes on
> metaphysics and esotericism. I'm also in the LCC clergy. I haven't been
> excommunicated yet nor do I expect to be! I've read some of the A.A.B books
> and but others of hers I'll probably never read. Just like I've read some of
> HPB but read more of those who followed in her wake in the TS (and as well
> as those were outside the TS like Steiner, Heindel, Clymer, Manly P. Hall,
> Aurobindo, Ramakrishna, Mouni Sadhu, Yogananda, etc., etc., the list goes
> on) And, huh, oh yes, even Jerry too (Enochian Physics, ISBN 0-87542-712-X)!
> I have a tendency to gravitate more toward the models presented by CWL,
> Hodson and Taimni but that's just my predilection. Different styles,
> different emphasis. The point is I have the freedom to explore, like anyone
> else. There are clergy and laity who are martinists, rosicrucians,
> kabalists, theosophists, astrologers, TM-ers, and even alchemists besides
> those who are CoM-ers, ES-ers and all the rest of it. And there are some who
> are just clergy or laity who are not affiliated with anything other than the
> Church.  No problema.

Quite an assortment there. I like to read of different luminaries "in action"
myself. But I personally like a focus, a home base for lack of a better word,
to help in the actual application of a spiritual praxis. As Yogananda said,
very approximately, ~"Many students under the guise of broad-mindedness move
from teaching to teaching and never settle down to practice instruction."~
[Note: as much as I admire Yogananda, I don't really want to affiliate myself
with SRF - even though they have many good qualities.]

You may find the idea of a home base too restricting. I'm guessing if you do
have one, it's Theosopy. If so does Theosophy serve well for this purpose?