The LCC

Jan 30, 1997 02:53 PM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

JHE
>IMO, if the LCC is to survive and grow, it
> will have to dissociate itself from the TS and find its own
> purpose for existence.

AEB
>It's past history and birth is intertwined with TS, but the
>public face, lately, is one of independence from TS.  If you
>look at their web page, their no mention of TS at all.

JHE
I'm happy to hear that the LCC is developing its own identity in
your area.  My experience with the LCC is from the Los Angeles
and Ojai areas where the TS Bishops still run the churches.  I do
remember one person about ten years ago at Far Horizons camp who
was involved in the LCC and was trying to compile a set of
doctrines for it (under the auspices of the proper authorities of
course).  I remember that he personally regarded CWL's writings
as ridiculous but was rather fond of Alice Bailey's.  He lives in
your neck of the woods now, so you may know him.

AEB
>I'm not sure I understand you about the one important
>function of the LCC.  To provide bishops who will then be
>leaders of TS?  Very few bishops or priests that I know have
>much to do with the other groups - they're too busy trying to
>make a living, keep a church running and have time for
>their families.

JHE
I'm writing from the point of view of the inner group of the TS,
not from the point of view of the LCC.  Of course the LCC sees
itself as a religious institution and sets its aims accordingly.
On the other hand, for potential TS leaders to work their way up
through the ranks of influence in the TS, they are expected to be
involved in the LCC, Co-Masonry and the ER.  This is why the
current lawsuit over the Larkspur Co-Masonic split is considered
so critical to the TS.  Perhaps the LCC will also eventually
split and the whole system in the TS will fall apart.

AEB
What I have heard is that the church exists in case the
NEXT world teacher comes and want to use it, which
sounds like that person was still looking towards the past.

JHE
Yes, that was the original reason for the LCC's existence.  It
was to be the vehicle for the new religion Krishnamurti was to
bring into the world.  Sounds like your informant is still
expecting a world teacher.

AEB
As for new associations, there is a rather large congregation in
Fairfield, Iowa, near Maharishi's school that is filled with
members who publicly espouse both Liberal Catholicism
and Maharishi's philosophy.

JHE
Great.  I've noticed that the TS doesn't seem to be threatened by
Maharishi philosophy.  I wonder what would happen if Alice Bailey
people filled the church.

   |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |
      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |
         |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |
            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |