Reaching "The Masses"

Jan 30, 1997 12:21 PM
by Mark Kusek

Kym wrote:

>Are not "the masses" you and me?

<and snip>

>It is imperative that people share with other people what they have learned.
>Those of us who have been exposed to T/theosophy have been able to do so
>only because someone else decided to pass it on.  Those of us who claim to
>be T/theosophists didn't invent T/theosophy - why should we now wonder if
>others should have the same opportunity and information we do?  I don't
>think we will suffer the same fate of dear Prometheus if we decide to share
>our 'fire' with others.  Where would we be if he had decided to hog it all?

I've said it before so I'll say it again. In one lifetime, unless you
are a public figure, a celebrity or someone with a public platform, the
number of actual people you will ever personally come into contact with
is relatively small. Our personal circles are really pretty limited. It
is in this arena that most notions of putting "theosophy-in-action",
"reaching the masses" in a practical day-to-day way, "embodying" the
teaching, etc. can easily take place, as Doss, Einar and Kym have shown.

This does not however negate the necessity of preserving the complete
body of teachings. Without them, their study and elucidation, newcomers
who thirst for deeper understanding will eventually come up empty.

Besides a personal outreach approach, there also needs to be some
"official" treasury or repository for the keeping and study of the body
of knowledge that has evolved, as well as an "open-minded" policy for
putting forth new ideas and furtherence of research.

I would hate to see the day when the only access to theosophy was the
few scrappy copies in some dinky college library or whatever's left at
the Barnes and Noble.

Mark
--------
WITHOUT WALLS: An Internet Art Space