Type of members

Jan 30, 1997 09:14 AM
by Michael

Greg Bartle wrote:
>'d like to ask if anyone knows if there have ever been any studies or
>histories done of Theosophy from below, examining the many and varied
>people attracted *to* the movement instead of from the top, from the
>point of view of the elite few that have lead the movement? I've not
>seen such work, but I suspect we might find that - despite the worst
>that has been done by leaders in one direction - many individuals have
>come and gone in the ranks who found their own ways to balance head
>and heart and hand.

I have not seen such study either on Theosophists. I suppose that it would
have to be a broader one as for what reasons people joined a particular
faith. On my page "On the psychology of spiritual movements"
(http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/psymove.html) I have tried to condense types of
members as follows:
"There are many types of members, each with their own motivation.
 First of all there the ones who have been moved to do so out of a genuine
spiritual aspiration, prepared to sacrifice.
Other members may have been searching for a truth behind the dreadful
aspects of life around them and an escape therefrom.
People who wrestle with a psychological problem seek (unconsciously) a key
or solution to it  in a particular teaching or discipline.
Then there are those that did so out of a feeling of isolation and
loneliness. Lack of true companionship may have made them long to be taken
up in a fraternity of kindred souls.
People will be drawn to a brotherhood whose aims are within their reach of
comprehension and nearest to their hearts. A religious background may make
them veer towards a sect that accomodates nostalgia, like the Jehova Witnesses.
For younger people it may be an escape from having to enter into a harsh
materialistic society. They are in an idealistic life-cycle, prepared to
give up their study and career for a worthy cause.
Some older people can never make up their minds and wander from one cause to
another.
The weaker the individual's independance, the more will he be tied to the
group. Members who understand group-mechanisms, prepared to cope with them
in order to direct their attention to the spirit, will benefit most as they
are selective in picking up the cream of what is given and taking the rest
with a grain of salt." etc.

If I am permitted to share my childhood memories of prewar days in Holland
of the type of members I met.
My parents had quite a miserable life in the years of depression. We had to
live on hand-outs of the government. My parents' marriage had turned sour.
For my mother life had lost its meaning. Until her sister, a widow left with
two children and no income, visited a Theosophic lecture. She became so
enthralled by it, that she took my mother along as well, much to the chagrin
of my father. The grand vision of Theosophy changed their entire outlook on
life. They were now partakers in a truth nobody around them understood. In
their humble ways they had become unique persons as small time messengers of
the Masters.
My mother's sister saved pennies from her meagre food budget to subscribe to
an edition of the Secret Doctrine. I myself was taken to the Lotus circle of
the Point Loma Society (as opposed to the Adyar Society, which was more
highbrow). The members were drawn from all ranks of society. Women taking
the lead (one saved on electricty and heating by going to the public library
to study), but also a doctor, an inspired  school teacher, a salesman etc.
During the war Theosophy had to go underground. In indignation some
Theosophists sewed on a Jewish star to show their solidarity with the
persecuted Jews and had to pay dearly. In summing up, Theosophy brought a
faith to people in their humdrum lives during the depression. They were just
a few of the members drawn to Theosophy for all sorts of reasons.
As to myself it instilled a sense of purpose, bordering on invulnerability.
When I went to the Far East quite young, after the war was over, I expected
to meet a Master at every street-corner. But that is another story.
MICHAEL
Michael
Amsterdam, Netherlands
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/index.html