Re: Theosophy for the Masses

Jan 29, 1997 11:14 PM
by kymsmith

Kathleen writes:

>Not only, that (we won't.  we can't.), but *why*?
>Why do we need to make Theosophy reach the masses?

Are not "the masses" you and me?  Right now, a mother is grief-stricken,
wondering why her child has just been murdered and why God would allow it.
Is she not "the masses?"  An uneducated young man makes it possible for you
to safely dine at your favorite restaurant by going in every day to wash the
dishes, and he prides himself on a job well done.  Is he not "the masses?"
A young girl sits alone in her room crying because no one at school will
play with her.  Is she not "the masses?"  The masses are not just some
obscure, fuzzy horde, but real people - real people looking for answers,
guidance, ideas.  All of us are searching for the same thing.  All of us
need the same thing.  Being educated, or intelligent, does not make one
spiritual, or even capable of understanding spiritual axioms.  The greatest
utterings of Truth have come from those who never read a book, or went to a
university, or held down a job.

It is imperative that people share with other people what they have learned.
Those of us who have been exposed to T/theosophy have been able to do so
only because someone else decided to pass it on.  Those of us who claim to
be T/theosophists didn't invent T/theosophy - why should we now wonder if
others should have the same opportunity and information we do?  I don't
think we will suffer the same fate of dear Prometheus if we decide to share
our 'fire' with others.  Where would we be if he had decided to hog it all?

> Knowing about Theosophy
>isn't going to change the world, not even if all the world knew about it.

Are you so sure about that?

Kym