The roots of 1925

Jan 29, 1997 04:13 PM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

The following was written by Krishnamurtui in 1911, and published
in a now very scarce book that was once sold to the members of
the TS.  I post it here because I think it throws some light on
the historical background to the elsewhere discussed frenzy of
1925.  Also, what is stated here about Mrs. Besant's authority as
an Initiate, is still held to be so by those that have controlled
the TS over the past sixty years.

                       MRS BESANT

What can I say to you of your dear President that you do not know
already?  Her colossal intellect, her unfailing wisdom, her
unrivalled eloquence, her splendid forgetfulness of self, her
untiring devotion to work for others--all these are familiar to
you.  Yet these qualities, these powers, are but a small part of
her greatness; they are on the surface; they may be seen by all;
they may leap to the eyes.  But there are other qualities, other
powers of which you cannot know, because they pertain to the
secrets of Initiation.  She is a pupil of our Masters; from the
fount of Their archaic wisdom she derives her own; the plans
which she is carrying out are Their plans for the welfare of the
world.  Think therefore how great an honour it is for you that
you should be permitted to work under her, for in doing so you
are virtually working under Them.  Think how watchful you should
be to miss no hint which falls from her lips, to carry out
exactly whatever instructions she may give you.  Remember that
because of her position as an Initiate she knows far more than
you do; and precisely because her knowledge is occult, given
under the seal of Initiation, she cannot share it with you.
Therefore, her actions must constantly be governed by
considerations of which you have no conception.  There will be
times when you cannot understand her motives, for she is taking
into account many things which you cannot see, and of which she
must not tell you.  But whether you understand or not, you will
be wise to follow her implicitly, just because she knows.  This
is no mere supposition on my part, no flight of the imagination;
I have stood beside your President in the presence of the Supreme
Director of evolution on this globe, and I know whereof I speak.
Let the wise hear my words, and act accordingly.
(J. Krishnamurti, ADYAR, THE HOME OF THE THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY).

   |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |
      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |
         |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |
            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |