Re: condition of TS 1925

Jan 28, 1997 03:13 PM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

M.K. Ramadoss wrote:

> It took me a very long time to find out some of the things that
> took place in 1925. Usually if you ask someone in TS
> (especially anyone who was/is part of the administration) about
> these matters, either you will not get a response or you will
> be told what does it matter to *you*.

JHE
In the beginning, I didn't have to go to the history books.  In
the early 60s when I joined the TS, I spent a lot of time around
Krotona when the people who experienced those years were still
alive.  In those days, tongues were a lot looser and one would
hear all of the stories whether you asked or not.  But times have
changed.  Most of those people are dead, but a few who survived
the Arundale and Jinarajadasa years are still around--and some of
them are the real decision makers behind the TS--not the Board or
the Presidency.

As for your question: you probably got that answer either because
they were embarrassed to tell you the truth; or because he knew
that most people would be embarrassed to be associated with an
organization that once openly promoted these beliefs; or both
reasons.  Whatever the reason, the old members are more sensitive
about ridicule than they used to be.

Besides, I'm sure that your friend did not want to be the one to
tell you that the Emperor has no clothes.  Those who have tried
to tell the membership, like Ernest Wood, F.T. Brooks and T.H.
Martyn were marginalized or pushed out of the Society.

I think it is important for members who are dedicated to the
*original ideals* of this organization to be aware of its
history.  Once they are aware, they need to realize that the
beliefs and ideals of 1925 still form the hidden rationale for
the policies upon which the TS operates today.  That is why the
TS had been stuck for the last sixty years.  I believe that when
(or if) this information ever becomes general knowledge to the
membership, there might be some hope for the organization.

The "lie" hidden in your friend's response is the implication
that this history should not matter to you.  As a member of the
TS, you are entitled to know the beliefs (and the origin of those
beliefs) of the people who control the TS when those beliefs
govern their policies.
If anyone believes I am wrong about this, please challenge me.

  |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |
      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |
        |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |
            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |