Re: Simple Language - Low Fog Index

Jan 26, 1997 08:21 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Doss:

>I see your point. Should we set up multiple theos-ls catering to
>different fog levels. Just an idea.

I'm not sure that different fog levels are necessary. Long
sentences with difficult grammar can be minimized in any
level of discussion. When the discussion gets technical and
certain terms are used that might need explanation, the
writer can always add a few words of introduction or somehow
lighten up the writing to keep it from getting totally obscure.

>There is yet another problem which needs to be addressed. I would preface
>it to say I do not have a solution.
>
>The problem is how to make Theosophy reach the masses, especially the
>less intelligent, less educated person.

But which *part* of Theosophy? A simple cosmology and discussion
of the nature of the world and our place in it could be presented.
This would almost, though, sound like sunday school lessons, since
we might not have hard science backing up many of the points. And
it falls short of the heart of the movment: the Path. Is our goal
to sprinkle tidbits of occult, mystical, philosophical concepts
into the mainstream of popular thought?

>It would be a very valuable
>statistical information to find out the distribution of TS members by
>various categories such as age, sex, ethnic background, religious
>background, education, profession, etc. I know of no such study so far.

This could be used to contrast theosophical groups with others that
are reaching out to the public. Some appeal to college kids and young
adults. Others attract people in their middle-age. Yet others appeal
to older people, perhaps retired. The appeal is based upon two
things: what's offered and how it's presented.

What are we offering? Uniquely, we have certain occult doctrines and
workable spiritual practices that can be derived from them, although
those practices aren't spelled out, being left in a do-it-yourself
manner. In a more general sense, we have organizations that would
or might become spiritual self-help groups. Mutual support might be
offered within the membership, quite independent of anything special
that is to be found in Theosophy.

>If this kind of information is available, then TS can think of how to
>reach the various under represented segments of the population. May be
>such an effort may be the salvation of TS in the 21st century.

It's not the TS that needs salvation, it's orphan humanity that
has the big problem. The TS is or could be a tool to assist in
that effort. Its original charter, Blavatsky's initial intentions, etc.
all don't mean that much. The big question is what is the TS today,
and how can it be put to use in the Plan (the work of compassion, the
living out of the Bodhisattva Vow, the work of making the kingdom of
heaven here on earth, the spiritual work of manifesting the unseen
beauties awaiting their turn to exist, etc...)