The Intuition

Jan 25, 1997 12:46 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Tom:
>I have never known what I consider to be
>"illogical intuitive feelings" to be correct.  If they mean something
>different from what are commonly called "hunches," I would not even know
>what they mean.  I frequently get premonitions, such as a feeling that the
>phone is about to ring, and I do not remember one ever being correct.  I
>have learned to ignore them.

I agree that illogical intuitive feelings are often called hunches. But
what
happens when a hunch goes against expert opinion?  For example,
if the weatherman says its gong to rain, and it looks like rain outside,
what do I call a hunch that it won't rain.  After lugging an umbrella
around, I realize that my hunch about the rain was right.  Yet it was
"illogical" at the time because it went against the weather report and
the way the sky looked.  I have medical doctors tell me things too.
Should I listen to my inner voice or to the doctors?  Is it illogical to
go against expert medical opinion?  Perhaps.  My own premonitions
almost always come true.  My problem is that I often ignore them
because they seem to me to be "illogical" at the time--they oppose
what my logic and reason tell me.  In fact, they usually come *only*
when they oppose my logic and reason.  Its almost as if my intuition
has an agreement with my logic and reason that it will remain
silent whenever the logic is OK, but will speak up when it disagrees.
If your own "premonitions" are never true, then perhaps they are
not intuitive at all, (just stray thoughts that seem intuitive) because it
seems to me that our intuition is seldom wrong about anything--the
problem is listening to it properly.

Jerry S.
Member, TI