Re: Growth of the Internet

Jan 25, 1997 07:16 AM
by M K Ramadoss

At 08:57 AM 1/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>There's been some discussion in the past on this mailing list about how
many people
>have access to the Internet.  The following is
>taken from an article in the Chicago Sun-Times, Thurs, Jan 23, 1997.
>
>"Many analysts say nothing can stop the Internet's growth.
>
>'People feel they have to connect,' said Paul Merenbloom, a technology
>analyst at Piper, Jaffray in MN.  'There is sheer pressure to be online and
connected.'

>Whole constituencies of consumers have yet to discover the Net.  Fewer than
one in 10
>homes
> go online, mostly because the rest have never tried it or don't have the
needed
>equipment.
>Only one in three homes have computers.
>
>But PCs are being found in more homes.  Intel and several computer makers
are considering
>PCs that
>cost $1000, instead of the typical $2000 to $3000.  The lower price would
lure a new
>group of buyers.
>
>Meanwhile, WebTV was just introudcuced in 1996.  It turns a TV set into an
Internet
>access device.  Web TV is expected to be the fist of many products that
bring the Net to
>TVs-an even wider audience."

---------------
>-----------------
>
>BTW, this is the second time I am posting this message as I received it
back with a note
>telling
>me that I wasn't subscribed to theos-l.  This is the fourth time this has
happened to me.

>-Ann E. Bermingham

Ann:

I have had similar experience of my being deleted from theos-l and had to
re-subscribe. I believe there is some bug on the list server which is
causing the problem.

As I have been mentioning for the past two years, very few really can forsee
the power of Internet. It is unstoppable.

Many organizations have to deal with this new medium. From an administrative
point of view, more light is going to be focused on the actions all over the
world. Actions in the past were unknown to most membership due to lack of
means of communication/broadcasting, will now be public knowledge
immediately when known.

With e-publishing, it is going to turn the publishing industry upside down
-- it may take some time; but IMHO it is going to happen in our life time.

..doss