Growth of the Internet

Jan 24, 1997 05:37 PM
by Ann E. Bermingham

There's been some discussion in the past on this mailing list about how many people
have access to the Internet.  The following is
taken from an article in the Chicago Sun-Times, Thurs, Jan 23, 1997.

"Many analysts say nothing can stop the Internet's growth.

'People feel they have to connect,' said Paul Merenbloom, a technology
analyst at Piper, Jaffray in MN.  'There is sheer pressure to be online and connected.'

Whole constituencies of consumers have yet to discover the Net.  Fewer than one in 10
homes
 go online, mostly because the rest have never tried it or don't have the needed
equipment.
Only one in three homes have computers.

But PCs are being found in more homes.  Intel and several computer makers are considering
PCs that
cost $1000, instead of the typical $2000 to $3000.  The lower price would lure a new
group of buyers.

Meanwhile, WebTV was just introudcuced in 1996.  It turns a TV set into an Internet
access device.  Web TV is expected to be the fist of many products that bring the Net to
TVs-an even wider audience."

BTW, this is the second time I am posting this message as I received it back with a note
telling
me that I wasn't subscribed to theos-l.  This is the fourth time this has happened to me.

-Ann E. Bermingham