Re: Intuition and thinking (to Chuck)

Jan 23, 1997 02:24 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Chuck, I agree with your assessment.  Certainly this is the
singlemost problem with QUEST (I have railed against its high
fog index for years).  However, there is another side to it.
There is some advantage to try to get modern writers like
Ken Wilber "on our side" so to speak.  I agree with you, though,
that this adds little to the membership.  We need people
who can integrate theosophy and science in flowing
easy-to-understand English. But what the movement really
needs badly are people who know what they writing about--
i.e., those who can write from personal experience rather
than from their intellectual machinations.  SUNRISE, for
example, is good for beginners but lacks "beef" for
keeping anyone past a year or two.  The "beef" (depth) is
deliberately omitted with the rationale that SUNRISE is
geared to beginners only.  Problem is, Pasadena has no other
publication with "beef" in it. So members tend to move on.
The answer, for all TSs, is to publish a periodical with
real "beef" in it for advanced members, or for those members
who would like more indepth knowledge.  But either they
fear to do this, or they are unable to do it.  Personally,
I find myself reading and studying the new Tibetan books
that are coming out (especially on Dzogchen) moreso than
new theosophical books, whose subject matter I find too
simplistic to spend my money on.

Jerry S.
Member, TI