Re: Truth

Jan 22, 1997 11:42 PM
by Tom Robertson

Jerry Schueler wrote:

>Tom:
>>What do you mean by Truth, if not the objective opposite of falsehood?

>I mean "that which is."  This would, by my definition, include
>falsehood.

I have basically the same definition, but I don't see how it includes
falsehood, except as perception, since it does not exist as reality.
Assume that World War 2 ended in 1945, but that I believe it ended in 1965.
My perception that it ended in 1965 would exist as an object of perception
itself, but there would be no objective truth to World War 2 ending in
1965.  The entire purpose of education is to seek objective truth, which
would value believing that World War 2 ended in 1945, since it would be
objectively true, over believing that it ended in 1965, since it would be
objectively false.  The objective truth of my believing that it ended in
1965 could also be an object for education.  If someone else believed that
I believed that it ended in 1945, there would be the same distinction.
Their perception would be objectively false, but subjectively true.