Theosophists Coming and Going

Jan 24, 1997 01:57 PM
by Jerry Schueler

<I'd like to ask if anyone knows if there have ever been any studies or
histories done of Theosophy from below, examining the many and varied
people attracted *to* the movement instead of from the top, from the
point of view of the elite few that have lead the movement?>

Not that I know of, but there is a whole bunch of historical
data out there in bits and pieces that could be put together.
Basically there are two types of theosophists, (1) those who
seek Truth via experience (meditation, contemplation, ritual,
service, or whatever) and (2) those who seek Truth via the
intellect (reading, studying, memorizing, discussing, or whatever).
We have heard a lot of discussion about these two avenues
on theos-l in the past.  The two do NOT see eye-to-eye in most
cases.  History shows that most of the number 1 types will
leave after a time, some to form their own groups.  Number 2
types tend to stay on, happy and content with the reams of
information available in the TS libraries and sometimes adding
their own to the pile.  Of course, its not all as clear cut as
I make it out here.  I myself, for example, began as a type 2,
and only later changed to a type 1.  Having been in both camps,
I feel I can understand both perspectives, and thus I am still
in the TS tent (though standing close to an exit).  I am
aware of a few people who came to the TSs looking for Truth,
and left after a year or so.  Perhaps they wanted more than
books to read?  Perhaps they wanted to dauble in the 3rd
Objective, and were reprimanded?  I don't know.  My own
magical persuits have been quietly tolerated, so I know that
patience and tolerance does exist in the TSs.  But, as I say,
I was a type 2 for many years, and this gave everyone time
to adjust to me before my books were published.

Jerry S.
Member, TI