Logic: Relative or Absolute?

Jan 23, 1997 05:34 PM
by Thoa Tran

>Mary P.:
Premise: If A, then B
Premise: A
Conclusion: B

Although there may be all kinds of room for debate about the truth of the
premises, I see no room for debate about the conclusion, assuming the
premises are true.  Unless my logic is mistaken, which is always possible,
if someone concluded something other than B from this syllogism, they would
have been illogical.

Thoa:
Let's take A=Johnny trips over the curb, and
B=Johnny falls

Premise:  If Johnny trips over the curb, then Johnny falls
Premise:  Johnny trips over the curb
Conclusion:  Johnny falls

But what if the conclusion is C=Johnny balances himself and does not fall?
You have left out the C possibility, which could logically happen.