Re: Truth and/or Consequences

Jan 22, 1997 03:45 PM
by RIhle

Kym writes-->
<< I am amazed that you are "amazed" at the behavior of young girls.  They
are
 simply responding to cultural demands and conditioning.  "Regular
 Neanderthals and criminals" in this culture are worshipped, emulated.   That
 whole "conquerer/hero/rebel" business, so popular in this society.  Teenage
 girls are still taught that true happiness is found in a man.  These teenage
 girls are watching movies written by men, reading textbooks written by men,
 reading magazines (claimed to be written for them) owned by men, listening
 to popular music dominated by men. . .and one wonders why they think men are
 the way to go? >>

Richard Ihle writes-->
Some very good points.  Just for clarification, however, what did you mean by
your last sentence?  Initially, I thought you meant, "one wonders why they
[young women] think men are the way to go [to find true happiness].  Then, I
started to reflect that perhaps you meant "one wonders why they think men
[rather than other women] are the way to go."

If you intended the former, I am wondering whether you believe that there is
~any~ possible true happiness that a heterosexual woman might find in a
relationship with a man.  (Here, of course, I do not mean the ~only~ or ~most
important~ happiness.)

If you intended the latter (which doesn't seem so likely), do you believe
that this would be a viable alternative for heterosexual women as well?

Just curious.

Godspeed,

Richard Ihle