Theosophy

Jan 20, 1997 10:18 PM
by M K Ramadoss

While browing in Cyberspace, I saw the following:

THEOSOPHY, n. An ancient faith having all the certitude of religion and
all the mystery of science. The modern Theosophist holds, with the
Buddhists, that we live an incalculable number of times on this
earth, in as many several bodies, because one life is not long enough
for our complete spiritual development; that is, a single lifetime does
not suffice for us to become as wise and good as we choose to wish to
become. To be absolutely wise and good -- that is perfection; and the
Theosophist is so keen-sighted as to have observed that everything
desirous of improvement eventually attains perfection.

Less competent observers are disposed to except cats, which seem neither
wiser nor better than they were last year. The greatest and fattest of
recent Theosophists was the late Madame Blavatsky, who had no cat.

This definition is from The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce,
published in 1911.

MKR: The last line I liked.