Re: "Is This Theosophy" by Ernest Wood

Jan 18, 1997 08:09 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 07:34 PM 1/18/97 -0500, you wrote:
>In message <Pine.BSD/.3.91.970118121638.1839A-100000@matrix.eden.com>,
>"m.k. ramadoss" <ramadoss@eden.com> writes
>>Jerry:
>>
>>I would like to get 1 (one) copy of Ernest Wood's - IS THIS THEOSOPHY?.
>>Let me know where to send my check and also if you take credit cards and
>>if you have a fax # where I can fax you my MC/VISA number.
>>
>>MKRamadoss
>>
>>PS:
>>
>>I would to know how many on this list have ever seen the Wood's book. It
>>would be an interesting statistics.
>
>I have a battered copy, and did at one time scan some sections for
>posting to the list.  Just this week I started re-reading it from the
>beginning.  Wood was a fascinating person with a gift for writing, and
>what is essentially an autobiography sheds some fascinating light on
>life in England in his day.  I hope in time, if I can verify it is OK to
>do so (copyright-wise) to scan the entire book and make it available on
>the net.
>
>Alan
>---------

Alan:

I do remember your posting some sections of the book.

Since the publication date was 1936, I am wondering if the copyright has
expired. And also it is very unlikely that a heir to Wood's royalty comes up
and makes a claim.

If you may recall, scanning or copying for use in a study course is
perfectly legit. So we can start a course on Theosophical History during AB,
CWL period and use the book as a text. Dr. Alan would be the professor to
lead and test the students. Those students enrolled can download from Alan's
www homepage.

Just an idea.

seriously considering HP Scanner. Any ideas, suggestions?

MKR

PS:

        Someone commented that there was a time when books not considered
appropriate was either removed from general circulation or trashed from
Olcott Library. It appears (based on grapewine) that the removal is likely
to have taken place.

        I had access to the libraries of two lodges which are over 100 years
old and in spite of their great collection, Wood's book was not there.

        There was even an instance of a set of books that one of the above
lodge libraries had but even the Adyar Library did not have. On the personal
request of C Jinarajadasa, then President of TS, the set of books were
donated by the lodge to the Adyar Library.

        Apparently someone there were party line people who did not want
membership, especially newbees, to read Wood's book. Now comes an
opportunity, due to Internet and computer/modern technology, that it is
likely to be accessible to anyone interested in the historical facts
surrounding TS (Adyar).

MKR