Re: Women & Enlightenment

Jan 15, 1997 08:10 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 09:48 PM 1/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>M K Ramadoss wrote:
>>
>> Here is URL which has some very interesting material. BTW, the whole
>> print issue on the subject is on line.
>
>	Andrew Cohen used to be a really nice guy, but I think that he's
>beginning to buy his own hype.
>
>	Bart Lidofsky

In a recent issue there was a very good article on Vimla Thakar in which she
describes a very important meeting with Jiddu Krishnamurti which changed the
direction of her life. Here is an interesting excerpt:

"Putting Bombs under all old people who follow the wrong line?"

==========================

Vimala went to meet Krishnamurti in Benares in December 1961. He asked her
what she had been doing and she told him that she spent most of her time
speaking with friends who were interested in her life.

"That is quite natural," he replied.

"But why don't you explode?

Why don't you put bombs under all these old people who follow the wrong line?
Why don't you go around India?

Is anyone doing this? If there were half a dozen, I would not say a word to
you.
There is none. . . . There is so much to do.

There is no time. . . .

Go - shout from the house tops,

'You are on the wrong track! This is not the way to peace!'. . .

Go out and set them on fire!

There is none who is doing this.

Not even one. . . . What are you waiting for?"

This conversation shook her to the core, but she also felt that "putting
bombs under people" was not the whole story.

Surely, she felt, one must also show people the right line of action and
point out the way to rebuild the house. Further talks with him convinced
her, and dispelled ideas which she saw were holding her back - for example,
the idea that she should have her own language before starting to speak publicly
- and also her fear of making mistakes.

This was a pivotal moment, and in her words, "the burning ashes became aflame."

>From this point on she started traveling and addressing meetings in various
countries in Europe to which she was invited.

She soon encountered opposition both from those who did not like the fact
that she spoke on her own authority and not as Krishnamurti's messenger and
from those who accused her of plagiarism.

Krishnamurti was supportive: "I know the whole game. They have played it on me.
They want authority.

Is not the world sick?

I was afraid you would have to go through it.

I was hoping that you wouldn't have to. . . .

It is not easy to stand up alone.

It is extremely difficult. And yet the world needs such sannyasins, true
Brahmins who would stand up alone, who would stand up for truth.

You know if I had money I would give it to you.

But I have none.

I go everywhere as a guest - I have not even a place of my own."

After this she met with Krishnamurti now and then, but she felt the need to
spend time with him was finished, "as you only want to meet a person who is
away from you." Since 1962 she has felt Krishnamurti's presence within her.
>From then on she spent her life traveling all over the world giving talks,
teaching wherever she was invited, up until 1991, when she decided to remain
in one place.

MKR