Re: Candles in the Sun

Jan 14, 1997 09:42 AM
by Titus Roth

"Ann E. Bermingham" <safron@concentric.net> wrote:

> It has been my observation that many people want to live for something
> higher than themselves and are willing to serve that which is higher.  They
> sometimes think they can do that more effectively through a group or
> organization, believing that large numbers of people cooperating will have
> the most impact.

With the exception of *large* numbers, they may be right. "Where two or three
are gathered together in My Name ..." Even small numbers tend to amplify the
hidden samskaras of members, though. If I were to put my cynical hat on, I'd
be tempted to paraphrase, "Where 2 or 3 are gathered together in anything,
there will be politics!"

> Unfortunately, this positive human impulse is exploited by the leaders of
> many groups and organizations.  Also, internal politics can completely
> destroy the ability of an organization to function and do the work for which
> it was originally created for.  The mad drive for power or wish to impose
> one's thinking on the group leads to dictatorships and for those that stay,
> surrender of their will.  While the rest scatter to other groups, or
> discouraged, go it alone.

> My observations aren't from watching TS, as I am a relative newcomer here,
> although I can catch instances of these self-destructive patterns in reading
> its histories.  I've been in other groups that had much potential to do good
> work, but had personality conflicts and flaws that gave the people involved
> enough ammunition to not only shoot themselves in the foot, but everyone
> else's.

> I am beginning to think that a truly functioning group, whether it be
> non-profit or profit oriented, is a rare thing.  Perhaps, some lifetime down
> the line, we'll get it right.

All too true.

I don't know if his works are considered Theosophical heresy, but has anyone
read Eugene M. Cosgrove? He was at one time an associate of Alice Bailey, but
withdrew from her teachings because he wanted to teach his students more
directly of the Christ. "The High Walk of Discipleship", out of print along
with his other books, says that the emphasis in the Aquarian age will be group
functioning. He says that resonances established between group members
increases their individual effects 5-fold. It seems to me to be true -
provided that one looks at the inner effects rather than the outer effects.
"Unfortunately", group dynamics seem to increase good *and* bad. "Fortunately"
this enables us to gauge our weaknesses and see how well our high-sounding
words meet reality.

I never met Cosgrove and wouldn't call myself an EMC afficionado, but his
works add a certain devotional aspect that is badly missing from Theosophical
literature and from Alice Bailey.