Candles in the Sun

Jan 13, 1997 07:56 AM
by M K Ramadoss

On a request from a subscriber, I just posted the famous 1900 letter from
Master K.H. I just happpened to find a copy of the book Candles in the Sun
and in it there was a statement by the author which may interest many. BTW,
Emily Lutyens, the author was a very active member of TS and was also close
to AB and JK.

=====================================
".. but I have been realizing more and more strongly during the past few
months that the T.S. is drifting further and further from its original
purpose, that it has ceased to be a body of seekers after Truth and is
becoming more and more a flock of credulous sheep, following the orders of
those who have constituted themselves high Initiates, supposedly in touch
with the great Hierarchy from whom they derive their authority. I see men
and women laying aside their common sense and allowing credulity to take its
place. I see conceptions, which even though mistaken, held at least some
germ of beauty and nobility, becoming cheap and degraded."

"For many months I have hoped that there were a sufficient number of members
of the TS alive to the cancer which is eating its soul away to gather
together and cut it out, but that hope is now dead. The disease is spreading
and I fear the patient is near at death. But I for one will no longer be a
part to a policy which plays upon the credulity, the vanity and ignorance of
men and women. Whether it is carried on in good faith by those themselves
deceived, or whether there is a deliberate attempt to defraud matters
little. The moment has come for plain speaking and I make no apologies if I
have said some harsh things. I know that what I say is true and truth needs
no apology."

=======================================

MKR:

I would like to add a little known fact. Some time after Krishnaji made his
famous "Truth is a Pathless Land" statement and disbanded the Order of the
Star, Annie Besant suspended all E.S. activities for some time. At that
time, on a suggestion made by someone, AB brought before the General Council
a proposal to replace the Three Objects of TS by a single simple Object --
That of Seeking Truth (I am quoting from memory). In spite of her stature
and influence, the General Council rejected her proposal. Think of what
would have happened if her proposal was accepted. It would have changed the
face of TS for ever for good, IMHO.

In the above context, I would also direct the attention to the "thesis"
about the inner aims of TS which was described in an unsigned article in the
Theosophical Messenger which is sent to TSA Members at Large.

Readers can think and decide for themselves.

These are MHO and your mileage and direction may vary.

M K Ramadoss
Member TSA