Re: Philosophy of Science

Jan 13, 1997 12:29 PM
by be94bmp

Bart,

I have to disagree with you on your remarks made about philosopy and science.
Philosophy is the study of ideas which characterise the whole, both the
physical and non-physical realms. Science is the proof of the ideas
presented. Granted,exoteric science is the study of the physical universe,
but ofcourse one also has the esoteric sciences which study the subjective.
To try to suggest that the two disciplines are the same, ie. simply
"Science" is I believe not the case, though they can complement each other!
Then, there is the philosopy of science which is the study of how to go
about proving the philosophical ideas through scientific method. I suppose
this splits the esotericist from the exoteric scientists because they study
the interplay of the objective and subjective from two different stand
points.
Speaking about mathematics, I would say that mathematics is a subset of
scientific method. One can use the same symbols to mean something completely
different as long as you tell others what the symbols in your system
actually mean. Then you don't lose communication. I think you could suggest
that languages such as English are mathematical in nature, one "adds" up
letters to form a word which has definite meaning to the native linguist, but
to an Englishman who hasn't studied French the "mathematics" are going to be
incomprehensible.

Love and Light
Ben