Re: The Limits of Free Will

Jan 12, 1997 01:05 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

Tom Robertson wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jan 97, Bart Lidofsky <bartl@sprynet.com> wrote:
>
> >Tom Robertson wrote:

> >> Philosophy _is_ a science.
> >
> >       You are saying that 2 + 2 = 5.
>
> I don't see how my statement does that.  Philosophy seeks truth about the
> non-physical universe.  Science seeks truth about the physical universe.
> Are you saying that there is no objective philosophical truth to seek?

	That is what I am talking about. Language, like mathematics, is a tool
for communication. If you change definitions to suit your own needs,
then you lose the ability to communicate, just like if you change the
rules of mathematics to suit your own needs, then you lose the capacity
to communicate.

	Bart Lidofsky