Re: humbleness

Jan 11, 1997 08:13 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 10:38 PM 1/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>        >I'm sure the staff would love having that one day
>>to get away from the office.  However, since a company can lose much money
>>from one day, no incentive would be worth it, monetarily.  That idea goes on
>>the list of If This Was an Ideal World.
>
>TTT that idea is coming to pass. We have a supermarket chain in Central NY,
>Wegman's, who give their employes paid time off for community activities. It
>was written up in our newspaper not too long ago. I don't remember
>everything the employees do, but I remember that some of them helped tutor
>school children.
>
>I think there are some more firms doing it, but the memory is vague.
>
>Liesel

Let me add a practical application of service to humanity.

This woman doctor who is the pediatrician to my children lost her only son
when he was 18. Even though the child had congenital problems and the doctor
knew he is not going to live long, it was a real loss to the mother.

This doctor is practicing in an non affluent area. One day she asked my
mother as to what she could do on the death anniversary of her child. It is
customary in India to feed people to commemorate death anniversary. My
mother, who has not read Secret Doctrine or does not know much about the
abstract theosophical matters, but knows some application of practical
brotherhood, told this lady why not she provide free treatment to all
children who show up on the death anniversary. She listened and every year,
she remembers her deceased child by providing free treatment to all the
children who show up at her clinic on that day. I think this is real
Theosophy in action, even though she does not know anything about Theosophy.

MKR