Re: Private matters?

Jan 11, 1997 06:56 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 09:00 PM 1/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>In message <9701110941.AA03934@toto.csustan.edu>, Jerry Hejka-Ekins
><jhe@toto.csustan.edu> writes
>>JHE
>>The denigration of other people through gossip and innuendos
>>always seems to be a "private matter," and the victim is the last
>>to know about it.  As long as I can remember, I have felt
>>uncomfortable about "private" accusations, trials and
>>condemnations that go on behind people's backs.  It is an art
>>that many people have perfected--so called Theosophists
>>unfortunately are not exceptions.  I have known many people who
>>have been driven from the TS because of this nasty activity.  I
>>have even seen it happen in Lodges.  Someone either becomes a
>>threat to someone else, or the party line, or just becomes a
>>scapegoat to draw attention away from the real problems.  The
>>gossip runs hot and heavy while the victim is left in ignorance.
>>Usually the victim senses that something is going on but no one
>>will give him/her a straight story.  Instead, the victim is
>>treated like a leper.  "After all, it is a private matter"  they
>>will say.  "The accusers do not wish to be known."  "We don't
>>want this to become public."  What they are really saying is: "we
>>are out to denigrate you with gossip, and we don't want this to
>>come out in the open because someone might expose it for the
>>dirty game that it is."
>
>This is precisely and exactly what happened to me this time last year.
>
>This year I shall resign altogether from the Adyar TS, in which I have
>seen this kind of behavior (in England) evolve almost into an art form.
>The TS semms to be a very sick body, and likely to die.  If it is like
>this in the rest of the world (and tales from the US are not
>encouraging) then as Doss has reminded us all on more than one occasion,
>the 1900 Letter warns of this very possibility.
>
>So be it.  Maybe the cry of the 21st century will be "The TS is dead!
>Long live theosophy!"
>
>Alan
>---------
>THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Ancient Wisdom for a New Age:
>http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/
>E-mail: TINT@nellie2.demon.co.uk

There is a new book by Mary Lutyens titled "Krishnamurti and The
Rajagopals". As Krishnamurti lived in Adyar for several years and as many
consider him to be a very keen observer, there are two quotes in the above
book which I think might interest some here:

In 1925, "K had found Adyar a "very gossipy" place and had been dismayed by
all the jealousies and antogonistic cliques there."

In 1933 K wrote to Emily Lutyens after Besant's death  "I'm completely out
of it all," "their illusions, their fight for power & their so-called
occultism. Adyar is lovely but the people are DEAD."

I think there may be some truth to what he had said since he was a witness
to what was going on there. Has the situation changed since that time? Has
any of this "culture" got transferred to other National Headquarters?

My simple answer is I do not know. Readers can come to their own conclusions.

Your mileage and direction may vary.

MKR

PS: There are other very interesting and surprising facts, incidents in the
above quoted book. Keep tuned.