Re: the Boston Lodge (Regarding hardline arguments)

Jan 11, 1997 04:09 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 04:26 PM 1/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>MKR:
>
>>JRC at various times has
>>expressed very clearly and succinctly ideas and suggestions that some on
>>theos-l agreed. In such a situation, there are two choices. One is to lurk
>>and be silent. Another is post a message of support, which only confirms
>>that he is not alone in his views on a particular topic. It can be seen any
>>way one wants. Either as an additional corroboration or cheering depending
>>on how one views it.
>
>If it were only a brilliant expression of ideas, no one would object, even
>if they did not agree. In a discussion group, if you don't like what someone
>is saying, and you were to walk up to them, grab them by their shirt and
>pull them out of their chair, call them a puny little illogical fool with
>vile motives and give an icy laugh in their face, and some in the group
>started to clap and cheer, what would you think? There's something quite
>wrong, apart from how brilliantly either argument was going on.
>
>In my previous posting, I was pointing out the adverse side effects of
>such an approach, since JRC may not be fully aware of how this appears.
>If you seen no harm in it, and understand why personal attacks would be
>valuable, perhaps you can explain it so that I can understand.
>
>-- Eldon

      As everyone here probably is aware, I have never and will never
support any personal attacks by anyone here or anywhere nor would any one
see me doing it. If there are two people who indulge in personal attacks,
then it is purely upto them to resolve them, and hopefully will be resolved.

      There is also another issue that I have seen in life. That is, I would
rather have someone personally openly attack me up front so that I can know
the attacker, understand the attack and try to deal with it. But when the
attack is made on your back or when you back is turned, when you do not even
know the attacker or see the attacker, it is worse.

        I hope my position is very clear on the above.

MKR