Re: Cliques and enclosures

Jan 11, 1997 12:08 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 01:20 PM 1/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I haven't really followed the Boston Lodge controversy and so won't comment on
>it. I am not really a member of the TS anyway. But it does remind me of a very
>interesting faculty of human beings: enclosure making.
>
>Enclosures appear in nations, families, organizations and in an
>individual. They enable a particularizing identity to form and also enable a
>person, family or organization to hear their own creations reflected back to
>them. An enclosure can become a sacred space or a tomb. A protective enclosure
>keeps out thoughts or influences which are harmful, but negative enclosures
>become festering wounds.
>
>In an organization, negative enclosures become cliques. In the beginning,
>everyone in a clique agrees with one another. In the end, no one agrees with
>anyone and it ruptures.
>
>I found M K Ramadoss's quote of Master KH very interesting: "Misleading
>secrecy has given the death blow to numerous organizations."
>
>This happened in my former spiritual home - despite the late founder's
>warnings. Public shaming and the use of offices for self-aggrandizement grew
>to insane proportions. The amazing thing was that there were very intelligent
>people who became perverted. It was a great education for me, but the
>unfortunate result was that we became a spiritually lifeless shell. The shell
>persists to this day, but I just couldn't stay.

An insightful post and confirmation of Master KH's statement. As a matter of
fact Adyar TS has never officially published this part of the letter. It is
the courtesy of Eclectic Theosophist (I think) which published the full
letter including the redacted portions. May be those who redacted were fully
aware of why Master KH made such a statement.

To my knowledge, there are only two instances of T/theosophy/ Search for
Truth related litigation where enormous sums of money was spent on expensive
attorneys. The first one was the 18 year long litigation between the (1)
Trustees of Krishnamurti Trust and (2) California Atty General, Krishnamurti
and the new Trust -- to recover and use the money donated for K's work. The
second instance was the Boston Lodge litigation. The irony is that one of
those Trustees who were defendants in the K Trust has been and is on the
National Board of Directors of TSA.

There is no problem is some donor came along and made a big contribution and
said go ahead and use this money and litigate. But the money spent (wasted)
were from donors whose intent was to spend the money to further the
spiritual message and not to line up the pockets of expensive lawyers.

This is my 2 cents worth. You mileage and direction may vary.

MKR