Re: the Boston Lodge (Regarding hardline arguments)

Jan 11, 1997 05:47 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

----------
> From: Eldon B. Tucker <eldon@theosophy.com>
>
> John: I can tell by your writing that you think that you're doing a good
> thing, but I think that you're simply unaware of the results of this type
> of communication. You're not responding "in kind" to others that are
> unbalanced, acting as a clever guru. At least as I see it, you're acting
> out of habit, out of reflex, perhaps using techniques you've learned in
> your "hard ball real-world state and federal politics". This approach
> does allow one the power to manipulate and control a group, but I don't
> think that is your intention.
>
> Tom: The message I see in the current conflict with you is that you need
> to refine your methods of expressing yourself in writing, so as to not
> bring up barriers leading to breaking down of communication (like in the
> political discussions). There's room for some give on both sides of the
> discussions, including liberal politics, the politically correct, etc.,
> and some of us may cringe at the dogmatic assertions being made *on both
> sides* of the issues. You can lend some balance from the conservative
> side of the discussion, if you express yourself with skill. (And that
> skill comes from practice, so don't give up.)

Eldon: You are being extremely Virgoan here.  You want these people, and
perhaps the whole list, to respond to each other in a manner that you
see to be appropriate.  Whether you are right or not in your criticism,
they are
not necessarily going to see it your way.  I can appreciate your commentary
on communication, but perhaps it is wisdom to let JRC, Tombo or anyone
else work it out for themselves via the arena of the Internet.

-AEB