Re: I Me Mine

Jan 09, 1997 11:39 PM
by Bee Brown

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997 23:21:01 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jan 97, John Straughn <JTarn@envirolink.org> wrote:
>
>>Tom Robertson writes:
>
>>>I hope you're not implying that I have been anything but perfectly
>>>consistent, as I am incapable of such human error.  Individual human
>>>beings, like all other forms, constantly change.  Only what cannot change
>>>is real.  I don't see how I am saying anything all that profound.  I don't
>>>even smoke, and I rarely sneeze, anyway.
>
>>Just to clear things up.  If your first sentence is not meant to be sarcastic,
>>which I would think it was,
>
>I would never be sarcastic.  Well, almost never, anyway.
>

>>is the *I* to which you are referring the "you" as
>>the human individual or the unchangeable "real" you?
>
>I don't believe there is an unchangeable real me.  Individuality is a
>temporary illusion.  Whatever had a beginning must have an end.

As I understand it, the personality is the illusion and the reason for
all this illusion is to become an individual within the whole. Vitvan
says that within us there is a 'power-to-be-conscious' that is
evolving to become conscious of itself and so be an individual aspect
within 'the-all-that-is'. It seems this takes so long to achieve that
we keep on growing and evolving for 'ever?'. This 'power' could be
thought of as the highest aspect of the 'All', experiencing itself
through us and as it grows, become more 'itself'. The personality
period is the time to develop a strong ego which then has to be
relinquished voluntarily at some stage of our path. Once that has been
let go off, it then seems that a person will turn to love as a way of
life. It is all very fascinating.
When seen in this light, will power is part of the ego and is used to
develop the ego dispite the 'All' and so karma piles up. When the ego
is dropped then there is no need for will power as a person follows
their love which is the way of the 'All' and becomes the natural order
of living.
Bee
Member Theosophy NZ, T.I.
Life is not a problem to be solved;