Humbleness

Jan 09, 1997 06:34 PM
by Thoa Tran

Hi Doss,

You have said several statements regarding humbleness.  I am learning
several glorious aspects of it.

First is simplicity.  I was the type of person that feels that I can do
everything, and I did try.  I worked, went to school, cooked elaborate
meals, learned anything that came my way, helped others and did art work.
Even my art work could not be simple.  I had to do oil painting, silk
painting, computer graphics, seamstressing, and ceramics.  What resulted was
a person with very diverse skills but no deep love of any one thing.  I
ultimately became tired and disappointed in myself as I was forced to let go
of each skill.  The thought of the mountain of things I have to do each day
paralyzed me into not getting anything done.  Lately, the light is shining
through for me.  I am learning to simplify and let go.  I am breaking down
activities and being mindful as I perform them.  It feels very calming to
say, "I am following each brush line of this painting.  I am building slowly
each stroke.  One day, all these strokes will be a painting, but for now, I
am enjoying each stroke," or to say, "Today, I am mopping the floor.  I am
taking my time mopping the floor.  I am not going to think of how the rest
of the house needs organizing."  It is alright to be humble by being simple.
This was a very basic Buddhist tenet, but I never truly understood it until now.

The second thing I learned is not having to prove myself.  I don't have to
prove that I am best at anything anymore.  I don't have to begin a painting
by thinking how I am going to make it a unique and special painting. Just
the simple act of enjoying each brush stroke is good enough.  Making each
task a special event within myself instead of a wonderful event for somebody
else is difficult, but much more rewarding.  Also, there's no need to prove
how smart I am.  I simplified my vocabulary and just try to communicate as
honestly as possible.

The third is that I am learning about love, loving each moment, loving each
thing, seeing the Divine in all things.  This automatically creates
humbleness.  There is so much involved in being humble.

Namaste,
TTT